In fulfillment of its policy on conservation of the environment, Nigeria LNG has established a nature park in Bonny Island to preserve the culture and natural environment of its host communities. The site of the Nature Park is the natural habitat of the hippopotami, now rare in Nigeria, and other interesting flora and fauna endemic to Bonny Island.
Based on its policy of giving due regard to environmental conservation in all areas of its operations, Nigeria LNG, having completed an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) of the Bonny plant and the GTS route, set up the machinery to develop a workable Environmental Management Plan (EMP) to minimise environmental consequences of its operations.
OBJECTIVES OF THE ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT PLAN (EMP)
• Ensure compliance with legislation and NLNG company policy
• Integrate environment fully into business
• Rationalise and streamline environmental activities to add value to efficiency and effectiveness
• Achieve, enhance and demonstrate sound environmental performance built around the principle of continuous improvement.
• Encourage and achieve the highest performance and response from individual employees and company
• Provide standards for overall planning, operation, audit and review
• Enable management establish priorities
• Be applicable throughout the organisation
The Health, Safety and Environment efforts of the Company are set at international standards and are closely monitored by national environmental authorities